Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Carnival Rap-up 2013

Caribana,  now better known as The Scotia Bank Carnival is one of the hottest events to hit Toronto in the summer. For the 3rd year in a row, I was more than happy to be part of this years festivities.


It all started with the Kiddies Carnival. This had to be one of my favorite events thus far. Mini revellers as young as three, came dressed in their costume ready to hit the road. My tent was filled with little people sporting giant head pieces ready to get their faces painted.






   This years winner was Toronto Revellers Once upon a time.. They're costumes where fairy tale inspired, one including Jack and the Bean Stalk. Check out these cute little bean stalks, aren't they adorable??


Next up was the King and Queen Competition, where all the Mas Bands compete for title of King and Queen of the Band. I was honoured to be chosen as part of the Toronto Revellers Mas Camp lead by Basketball Veteran and Toronto's own Jamaal Magloire.

  I had the chance to work sided by side with award winning designer Brian MacFarlane, who designed all of the revellers costumes this year.




Jamaal Magloire
me and Brian MacFarlane

 



The icing on the cake were the parade activities on Lakeshore Boulevard. The Scotia Bank Carnival starting early Saterday August 2nd. The revellers came together bright and early, making  9AM feel like 12AM on a club night.



As music blared through speakers of the floats setting up, I had very little time to take in the many costumes as my Toronto Revellers mascaraders  flooded the tent.






 Although I did not see the parade, I had a great time meeting  people from all over the world.
I would like to thank Jamal Maglore , his family and the Toronto Revelers for giving me the opportunity to work with them. A special thank you goes out to my sponsors Fufutel, Bell AutoA.M.A. events Front Page management,  and Strong Arm Ent.

Last but not least, my deepest condolences to the family of Rueshad Grant, who died during this seasons festivities. May his soul rest in peace

Rueshad Grant